Mangoes are in season and what could be more fun that mango themed brunch for Mother’s Day? Mango and pistachio filled crepes, Green Mango Panha, salt and paprika sprinkled raw mangoes and mango panna cotta! A little sweet, a little bit savory. Something filling and something crunchy.
If mom’s in your family are mango lovers, mango and pistachio filled crepes will make their day! These are easy to make, with mostly pantry staples. Replace the mango with any other fruit (berries, pineapple or peaches!) to customize it to mom’s taste. Almonds could easily replace pistachios if that’s what you have on hand. It’s a very versatile recipe.
Healthy and fruity it brightened our morning. Even Varun loved them – though I suppose kids can eat anything with honey.
Note On Buttermilk – If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, use milk with 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar to clabber the milk. Set aside for 10 minutes and you have buttermilk. Else use yogurt and water in 1: 3 proportion. For this recipe use 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 1/2 cup water. Mix well and then use as indicated in recipe.
Mango Pistachio Filled Whole Wheat Crepes Recipe
For the Filling
- 1 cup Mango Pulp ( Fresh or Canned)
- 1 tablespoon candied ginger minced (optional)
- 1/3 rd cup pistachios roughly chopped
For the crepes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg separated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups Butter milk
- 1 tablespoon pistachios finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes (optional)
1. Make the filling by mix mango pulp with candied ginger and cooking it in microwave for 3 – 4 minutes till slightly thickened. Set aside to cool in a bowl. Keep the pistachios chopped in another bowl.
2. Sift and mix all dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and soda, salt and sugar.
3. Cream the egg yolk in the butter for a minute. Add vanilla and buttermilk and whisk again for 10 seconds.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white. Make an effort to do this as it will result in light crepe. If you are in a rush or don’t want to use an extra bowl, feel free to whisk the entire egg in step #3.above.
5. Add the flour mix to the butter milk – egg mixture and stir. You may have small lumps which is fine. Now add the egg whites and with a light hand stir them in the batter.
6. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a flat non stick skillet. Once the skillet is heated through, ladle a serving spoon size batter in the center of the pan and immediately spread it using circular motion with the back of the spoon. Just like making a dosa.
7. Reduce the flame to medium high. Flip after it is cooked / browned on edges – about a minute. Cook on other side for 30 seconds.
Flip back. Fill the crepe by spooning mango pulp in the center. Sprinkle pistachios. Carefully fold or roll the crepe. Remove from pan and set aside in a serving dish.
Repeat for the entire batter.
8. Garnish with coconut flakes and pistachios. Serve Warm with some fresh mango slices and honey.